In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1barco masculineembarcación feminine formalmasculine botefeminine barcawe went to Singapore by boat — fuimos a Singapur en barco
- While the boat was sailing towards the land, everyone on the shore became active.
- Fu told Baja, as well as reporters, that the fishermen strayed into Philippine waters after their boat engine malfunctioned.
- However Albert said that sailing on the Asgard was a completely different experience to sailing on smaller boats and yachts.
- Stromness lifeboat was called out on Sunday evening after a fishing boat with engine trouble began drifting towards shore near the Bay of Skaill.
- Dogs and cows luxuriate in the sudden coolness; paper boats sail to unknown destinations on swift flowing drain water.
- He and many others landed jobs on in-shore mackerel boats, fishing tamer waters around the isle.
- Sometimes the Coliseum was transformed into a desert or into a jungle, and it could also be filled with water and turned into a lake so boats could sail in it.
- Working feverishly, the crew and shore team refitted the boat and sailed it to La Rochelle in time to rejoin the race in leg eight.
- If you are an expert sailor or you can't tell a reef knot from a mainbrace, just turn up and you can be sure of being welcomed on one of the club boats for a sail.
- She shifted her gaze to where he motioned for her to look and saw boats with white sails skimming lazily across the still orange-tinted waters.
- The propeller from the boat's engine was embedded 6 inches into a fence post.
- It was a short wait and it wasn't long until the three of them were piled into a small boat and sent sailing off into the water.
- About an hour into the trip, the boat's engine hit a rock and lost power; the craft was battered by waves and soon capsized.
- This in turn causes surrounding air to rush into the sail and propel the boat further.
- Sure, every solo sailor has this terrible image of them falling off the boat and watching the boat sail away perfectly trimmed up, under auto pilot.
- We were a tight-knit group of three once the boat had set sail, and we were in a large dining area.
- It's interesting that both films start with McCrea on a boat, sailing into unknown waters.
- At age 72, Pam sails her own boat and each year takes a wicked sailing trip to the Caribbean with friends.
- Nearby, fisherman Rolando Ramirez helped others pull their fishing boats from the water.
- Yes, we can all sail our boats along the surface of the water, so long as we obey federal regulations regarding navigation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.