In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1calcetines cortos masculinecalcetas feminine Mexicosoquetes masculine Southern Cone
- Elizabeth dresses in pinafores, bobby sox, and Keds.
- I feel it should only be sampled while wearing bobby socks and sipping a vanilla shake.
- The 1950s featured bobby socks, crew cuts, Hogan caps and persimmon.
- If you really get into it, you might even find yourself sporting short-cropped bangs, bobby socks and a poodle skirt.
- In Isis, a young girl with a small, sweet smile poses shyly in a short white dress, bobby socks and a wedding veil.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.