In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The new car is higher, wider and longer than its predecessor and with a bodyshell 12 per cent stiffer it is also the stiffest in its class.
- This adds at least 25 per cent to the torsional stiffness of the bodyshell, making it a really stable platform for the uprated suspension.
- The bodyshell is made from glass-fibre composite, although a stronger and lighter carbon-fibre alternative is offered.
- The only items that come into the plant direct are the bodyshells that come on trucks from Volkswagen's plant in Mosel.
- The bodyshell itself is the stiffest in the segment, claims Mercedes-Benz, and yet at just 437 kg the new model is no heavier than the previous one.
- There a bare Focus bodyshell is strengthened with the addition of a roll cage (a metal skeleton encasing the driver and co-driver) and other supports.
- This new sedan is the first Jaguar production vehicle with an aluminum bodyshell.
- A stiffer bodyshell is a good starting point for the Porsche chassis gurus to work their suspension magic, although the choice of 19-inch wheels might be a questionable one for Brit buyers.
- It handles well thanks to its rigid bodyshell and all-independent suspension, which make it a particularly agile car.
- The one-piece bodyshell weighs just 25 kg and uses a new type of carbon fibre that only requires curing in a low bake oven rather than the traditional autoclave.
- Rattles and squeaks are a thing of the past thanks to a 15% torsionally stiffer bodyshell, plus many changes to comply with both latest Euro and US safety regulations.
- The inherent rigidity of the steel bodyshell enhances the new 3 Series safety levels.
- By modern standards, you got very little beyond an engine and a bodyshell.
- The first ML had a separate chassis frame but the new model uses a bodyshell like that on a conventional car.
- When they put the grille together and then tried fitting it into the bodyshell, it just didn't fit.
- Larger front bumpers and complex surface headlamps give the Boxer its new look but the bodyshell is greatly strengthened and more attention has been paid to impact protection.
- Before the painted bodyshell heads for the assembly lines, it is baked to ensure the finish is as durable and as scratch-resistant as possible.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.