In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1overol masculine Latin Americamono masculine Spain
- Mr Pickering, who told police he was wearing a blue boiler suit, said after parking his car on the road, he entered the grounds and saw Ms Smith being asked to leave with her placard.
- His clothes were then cut from his body and he was thrown an orange boiler suit, gloves and headphones to wear.
- In May 1998, she quit the club, where she had been since 1995, and swapped designer clothes for a boiler suit to oversee her new home's restoration.
- They stick you in a boiler suit and strap you in.
- Prisoners are searched going in and out of prison, so smuggling out a whole boiler suit is going to be pretty hard.
- The party chairwoman might have been better advised to have worn a green boiler suit rather than kitten heels.
- And what self respecting Janitor would wear the same boiler suit for more than a day?
- He threw open the wardrobe to reveal a bright orange boiler suit, splattered with oil stains.
- The happy couple disappeared for a while, and when Trish resurfaced, she did so wearing a boiler suit, swinging a bottle of red wine by the neck.
- In the centre is a man in a blue boiler suit with a large broom.
- This consists of an apparently paint-soiled navy boiler suit.
- Cane cutters in true life cannot afford to wear protective boots, yellow boiler suits, gloves and dainty hats.
- The collection features pedal pushers combined with a tiny zip jacket, a huge triangular dress, and a single boiler suit.
- An electrician in a blue boiler suit shouted up to the top of a scaffold.
- Despite the sweltering heat, the men were dressed in heavy boiler suits, and were hooded and masked.
- He had on this old, dirty boiler suit, which made you uncomfortable because it blended in at the wrist and neck so you couldn't help but think of him as naked.
- In the early days he was roped in to help raise funds but soon ended up in a boiler suit and safety helmet.
- The robber, who witnesses say wore a boiler suit and balaclava, died in hospital from his wounds five hours later.
- One was wearing a tight-fitting grey boiler suit and a scarf.
- Open the firedoor and smokebox, don boiler suit and crawl in.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.