In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Johnson's expression is manly, vigorous, grandiloquent and bombastic.
- ‘He knows his stuff but he's extraordinarily bombastic,’ cautioned one art critic.
- The exchanges themselves are unsubtle and bombastic.
- Students' formal vocabulary can be quite extensive and the more advanced sometimes produce somewhat bombastic performances.
- Given the star's history of bombastic public behavior, she may be greeted with skepticism about her intent.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.