In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In 200 escort missions to heavily defended targets, the Tuskegee Airmen never lost a bomber to an enemy fighter.
- It had the most advanced fighter and bomber aircraft and the best trained crews.
- When it became obvious that the pilots could not control the bomber, the aircraft commander ordered a bale-out.
- Britain only had access to long range Blenheim bombers and fighters carried on Britain's aircraft carriers.
- RAF bombers and fighter aircraft each needed different cloud conditions, as did the gliders and the Army favoured dry ground.
- With new money came new and more lethal weapons: Antonov bombers, helicopter gunships, artillery cannons.
- Quite often, the enemy would provide important details on targets for Allied bombers and attack aircraft.
- That meant that the bombers were RAF and we were being attacked by Japanese fighters.
- New fighters and bombers could be equipped with cameras to carry out the same reconnaissance with a much better chance of survival.
- Then the atomic bomb came along, and two of them were dropped by air force bombers.
- When Red Alert was published in 1958, the American nuclear force was carried by bomber aircraft.
- Squadron aircraft were the first bombers engaged in World War II and the last to fly missions in support of that war.
- Five fighters and two bombers were assigned a mission to drop propaganda leaflets on the city.
- During the 1950s, nuclear weapons required large bomber aircraft designed specifically to carry these weapons to their target.
- The word spread and spread until a respected and reputable London newspaper reported that Australia had plans to send bomber aircraft to drop bombs on Jakarta.
- These forces are a mixture of assets that includes fighters, bombers, and support aircraft.
- The most ambitious experiment used a large bomber with fighters carried above and below each wing and one under the fuselage on a trapeze.
- The aircraft used are leading edge - bombers, tankers, fighter and cargo alike.
- In all, the bombing mission cost the Eighth Air Force 37 heavy bombers and six fighter aircraft.
- They were supplied with weapons and air support from helicopter gunships and Antonov bombers.
- These are the ones you really want to eliminate, since most of the known terrorists, being suicide bombers, have already eliminated themselves.
- In the first attack on Saturday evening, two suicide bombers detonated 30 yards apart in a busy mall.
- One of the bombers planted his 10 lbs of explosive on a train and timed it to go off at 8.51 am.
- More worryingly, there was some evidence that one of the bombs was detonated by a suicide bomber.
- I mean, your heart just goes out for what has happened there, these suicide terrorist bombers and the way people and children have to live now.
- He tried to play on our fears about suicide bombers and terrorists, as if they were the only ‘evil’ things done in history.
- Rather than give up his explosives, the bomber detonated them, killing himself and the two robbers.
- And when the suicide bomber ran and detonated his bomb, they were there.
- A few hours later, a suicide bomber detonated a massive bomb, killing himself and at least three others.
- The bomber detonated a truck full of explosives near the station.
- The conditions that tend to produce terrorists, suicide bombers etc. should be addressed and fixed.
- He's dealing with homegrown suicide bombers, not terrorists coming from outside the country.
- And he went after the terrorist bombers and he was able to stop them and to imprison them and to put a total halt to any such activity.
- It is now being reported that the three bombs that went off earlier today were detonated by suicide bombers.
- Last week saw 23 car bombs, six of which were driven by suicide bombers, detonated throughout the country.
- Even Liberty, the civil liberty pressure group, accepts a shoot-to-kill policy to protect the public is needed when a suicide bomber looks set to detonate a bomb.
- Although they were bombers and terrorists, the fact they seemed otherwise well-adjusted posed a problem for the British government.
- Anyone who aids the terrorist bombers will be deemed accessories after the fact to Murder, and subject to the most serious penalties.
- That's when a second bomber detonated his explosives.
- It was very unsettling - particularly since it's now claimed that the terrorists were suicide bombers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.