In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bongó masculinebongo masculine
- Larger bands have trumpets and strings as well as extensive percussion sections in which maracas, guiros, and bongos are primary instruments.
- It kind of brought the band back to its roots - we're all close together and playing instruments like mandolin and bongos.
- Marlon Brando's personal effects, including a pair of bongo drums and an annotated script of The Godfather, will be auctioned this week.
- Saturdays, he'd be smoking pot and playing bongos.
- ‘Chanabra’ adds bongos to one of the disc's most aggressive choruses, hinting at future recordings.
- Musical groups danced the samba all the way, beating bongo drums and shaking tambourines.
- ‘Sinner Man ‘is a Tamla tornado of sitars, trumpets, bongos and guitars.’
- With the bongos - a reference to the little darbouka drums of Kancheli's homeland - a suggestion of a folk dance is raised, but then denied very soon after.
- If in doubt, listen to the opening bars of ‘Boston’: guitar, snare, bongos and shakers, what else do you need?
- In fact, the high bongo plays on an offbeat while the cowbell simply marks the beat.
- Last October he was arrested after police found him naked and playing the bongo drums.
- Wiggs handles bass, guitars, drums, and bongos; Trimble plays keyboards, acoustic guitar, and accordion.
- The first track ‘Una Cancion,’ with it's echoed bongos, steel drums and chilled vocals, will help you forget just how cold it is outside.
- The tabla is sort of a cross between the bongos and snare drum.
- The only real disappointment I found was the absence of those spectacular bongos at the beginning of ‘The Hazards of Sitting Beneath Palm Trees’.
- Mrs Stagg bought Kieron a bongo drum for Christmas.
- Turner entered the hall behind a child's wooden wagon to which a pair of bongo drums had been lashed.
- The combination of bongo drums and some sharp scratching from DJ Kilmore was pretty impressive.
- Backed by live trumpets, guitars, and bongos, Kadiri's debut album is an impressive new force in roots hip-hop.
- ‘Until the Dream Gets Broken’ follows with programmed bongos and the same backing vocals, both featured more prominently this time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.