In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The family Scombridae, the mackerels, tunas, and bonitos, includes some of the world's most popular food and sport fishes.
- The bar menu is limited, although they do offer grilled bonito, a moist white variant on tuna that is an Asturian staple.
- There were three strikes: two bonito the size of trout, and a yellowfin tuna no bigger than my forearm.
- The laziest I get is to open a tin of tuna or bonito personally canned for me, of course, by Conservas Ortiz of Ondarroa, or to fry an egg.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding the bonito flakes.
- Remove the konbu, add the bonito flakes, and simmer for ten minutes.
- Less obvious are schools of king mackerel, bonito and Spanish mackerel.
- Bring the mixture to a boil add the bonito flakes and remove from the heat.
- For fishermen preferring finesse to power, the challenge is to catch bonefish, kingfish and the sleek torpedo-shaped bonito on the fly.
- A the moment the bonito and common thresher breeds of shark are relatively plentiful.
- Mackerel are members of the scombrid fish clade that includes tuna and bonitos and possess a forked tail.
- Be sure you have your trolling lines out; Vieques Sound is full of bonito, tuna and dolphin.
- Hiding in the ship's shadows we spotted a silvery bonito, about a yard long.
- Talking to the boat skippers, they get dorado's and bonito within an easy cast of the shoreline during feeding frenzies.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl and add the bonito flakes.
- For example, the Japanese cook mackerel, bonito, and tuna by steaming them before smoking, after which they are dried.
- In summer, great shoals of gamefish arrive, including giant kingfish, barracuda, sailfish and bonito.
- Several species of smaller tuna can be targeted including the bonito, skipjack and little tunny.
- What to buy: tinned and preserved foods like bonito tuna, white anchovies and anchovy olives.
- Add the bonito, stir to combine, and set aside for 15 minutes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.