In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1US dated, slang(television)tele feminine informal
- In some cases, the proverbial boob tube will actually know more about viewers than they know about themselves.
- And now, at seventeen, I can't sleep unless the blue glow of the boob tube exists a few feet from me.
- What we have here, are two classic installments of Mystery Science Theater 3000, the greatest television program in the brief history of the boob tube.
- So far, Jack hasn't stepped up to the polls, but I'm quietly optimistic that he'll be the next big thing in Canada, at least on the boob tube.
- Meanwhile, keep yourselves occupied with a good book, a fine movie, or just turn on the boob tube for a few hours and let yourself veg out.
- Finally, that allegedly brain-dead American boob tube may actually provide more cognitive stimulation than previously thought.
- I don't watch much television; I haven't had a boob tube in my possession for eight years.
- I miss too many programs these days, not that the boob tube is a major addiction, but it would be nice to at least keep up with a few favorites.
- Spending time on the Internet may well be an academic's version of watching too much of the boob tube, and I'm going to limit myself to one hour a day.
- Come on folks - ditch the boob tube for a while and get off the sofa.
- Either way, there still exist some exceptionally creative, smart and informative venues on the boob tube.
- Keeping this kind of stuff off the boob tube obviously is going to be critical task for the Pentagon and the White House.
- We're well acquainted with perennial complaints that children are hooked too tightly to the boob tube.
- As you say, it is a triumph of books over the boob tube.
- And now she is about to make the jump from the radio to the boob tube, courtesy of a show this fall from Paramount Television.
- But the main reason I spend so little time in front of the boob tube is the lack of compelling material.
2British informalClothingbustier elástico masculine
- Angelina ended up with a pair of denim hipster jeans with flames up the legs and a black boob tube saying Wicked.
- I looked over at her, she looked gorgeous in tight jeans and a cropped boob tube, revealing the lower half of her abdomen.
- He was in long robes, long beard; she was wearing a boob tube, as I believe they are called, and a short skirt.
- I am most certainly not looking forward to seeing you in a boob tube and hot pants.
- A traveller who was refused bar service because the woman with him was wearing a skimpy boob tube, has been awarded €2,000.
- Immaculate figures are squeezed into designer skirts, hipster trousers, beaded boob tubes, laced bodices… anything goes, as long as it's black.
- She was dressed in long black pants and had a boob tube on the same colour as Kila's eyes.
- She emerged triumphantly with a red boob tube and black skirt.
- Last year a mother from Croydon, Surrey, was lambasted in tabloid newspapers for encouraging her 10-year-old daughter to wear a G-string and a boob tube.
- It's a strong look and a huge improvement on the queen-of-Saturday-night boob tubes that she favoured in the old days.
- Double-sided tape is essential to keep those boob tubes over your breasts.
- High-heel shoes, lacy lingerie, micro-mini skirts and boob tubes are not cute or sweet or in any way appropriate for young girls.
- Today I went in search of silver sequin knickers, silver boob tubes and a pair of silver boots.
- She looked at herself wearing a white boob tube, her yellow flowered bikini top and boot-cut Jeans.
- In her time she has donned boob tubes, marabou-trimmed sandals and nice-but-dim Ken.
- Her pink mini skirt was inches too short and her boob tube looked like it was about to fall off.
- A boob tube is not a boob tube if you don't have boobs.
- They were generally light in colour and see-through in nature, one exception being the opening set where the women were forced to wear tiny white boob tubes.
- Other highlights included boob tubes, straight dresses worn over trousers, maxi coats and cropped bodywarmers with furry trims.
- She was dressed in a black boob tube with a black, glittery, lace poncho over the top.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.