In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1limpiabotaslustrabotas South Americabolero masculine Mexicobolera feminine Mexicoembolador masculine Colombiaemboladora feminine Colombia
- He avoided factory settings; his heroes were newsboys, bootblacks, and clerks.
- Tinu, a bootblack, was so fascinated by the show that he strayed into the audience.
- They came to work in the large industrial cities of the Northeast and Midwest as factory laborers, peddlers, busboys, and bootblacks.
- Newsboys and bootblacks accounted for 27 percent of all arrested.
- Similar databases monitoring the investment policies and current rates of cab drivers, short-order cooks, and bootblacks are rapidly gaining in popularity.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.