In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to be born — nacer
- when was she born? — ¿cuándo nació?
- to be born blind
- she was born blind — es ciega de nacimiento
- the young are born blind — las crías nacen ciegas
- to be born lucky — nacer con suerte
- poets are born not made — los poetas nacen, no se hacen
- to be born into sth
- he was born into a Protestant family/the aristocracy — nació en el seno de una familia protestante/aristócrata
- born into poverty — nacido en la pobreza
- to be born into the world — venir al mundo
- to be born of sb/sth
- she was born of middle-class parents — nació en una familia de clase media
- with the confidence born of experience — con la confianza que da la experiencia
- to be born to sb
- a child was born to them — tuvieron un hijo
- were you born in a barn? — ¿es que traes cola?
- young people today don't know they're born! — los jóvenes de hoy no saben lo que tienen
- born Jane Smith — (real name) cuyo verdadero nombre es/era Jane Smith
2(destined)to be born to sth/to + inf
- he was born to (a life of) luxury — nació para (ser) rico
- this is the book I was born to write — estaba destinado a escribir este libro
- this is what I was born for / what I was born to do — yo he nacido para esto
1(leader/actor/musician/teacher) natoshe has a born aptitude for teaching — tiene una aptitud innata para la enseñanza
- he's a born loser — siempre ha sido y será un perdedor
- She says she was born to teach; now she runs her own school.
- He was born to be an actor, and when he conscientiously set himself to a task he could blend his genius with a thoroughly sound and intelligent craftsmanship.
- "He was born to teach," says Julius, an assistant research scientist emeritus in the Department of Epidemiology.
- He was born to break the rules.
- Although both of them believe they were born to lead, they were able to temper their leadership desires, in order to cooperate in whatever environments they were in, Arvey said.
- Are you a born athlete?
- Hannah writes like a born novelist, with a calm, seductive style and an almost Chekovian vision of subtle humour and generosity.
- He was born to serve and served his primary constituency diligently.
- hen there are some lawyers who become judges because they were born to be judges.
- Counting himself neither a born athlete nor a born writer, Irving resolved to work that much harder.
- Although she was convinced early on that she was born to be an artist, she was rarely at ease with herself.
- Are you a born investment banker?
- Balcon felt he was born to be a soldier.
- His classmates remembered him as a born leader, an achiever, a magnetic personality.
- She was born to help and serve and she did not expect for any reward or recognition.
- For a born chef, it must be nice to pour your talent into a meal, and then to see, up close, a customer's appreciation.
- t shows teachers how to create and deliver curriculum that helps all students become the motivated, successful natural learners they were born to be!
- Morse was not a born scientist; he was an educated man who had a love for art.
- She was born to be a goalie.
- Whether struggling with drugs, alcohol, or some other compulsion, this series will help people discover that they were born to be free.
- He was a born soldier, and in the end he found his way back to his true calling.
- He did not own anything that could make him a born leader no birthright, no pedigree and certainly no extraordinary attributes.
- He thrived in the training and displayed the natural attributes of a born soldier.
- Leading work-expert Nick Williams has identified the twelve principles of the work we were born to do.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.