In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Chill stock in an ice bath and reserve for bouillon.
- Bring to a boil, add the shallots and the cube of bouillon, stir, and let simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- The legendary peasant woman kept a pot-au-feu or bouillon pot on her hearth and, myth has it, threw into it whatever she had around to stew for the day's meal.
- This garlic bouillon was classically made the day after a fête, being excellent for hangovers as well as soothing for convalescents.
- Pour bouillon into cups and add ravioli and herbs.
- In the early 199Os, for example, Bestfoods started an import operation in Russia, using a small sales force to sell bouillon and soups from Polish and Slovak firms.
- Then add some bouillon from the chicken soup, or just plain water (I used two cups of bouillon from the chicken soup I was cooking).
- Heat water and add bouillon, onions, carrots, spices, and turkey.
- Divide veal, scallions, Brussels sprouts, sake, bone marrow and bouillon into four bowls.
- For example, marinating chicken in chicken-flavored bouillon may increase the palatability of the meat.
- Add 3 cups hot water and bouillon to taste (or instead, add 3 cups hot broth), and the cheese rind.
- Many, in fact, mentioned a trend in London for a drink made with beef bouillon called the Bloody Bull, basically a Bloody Mary with the beef bouillon added.
- Water, black coffee and tea have no calories, and bouillon and broth contain very few calories.
- Let simmer 1 kg of codfish filets in this bouillon for 10 minutes.
- Mash them a bit and pour the consommé or bouillon.
- The national soup, harira, is a thick paste that comes in many varieties, although it is classically made from water, bouillon, beef or mutton, onions, saffron, walnuts, and salt.
- Combine the instant dashi or vegetable bouillon powder and boiling water in a saucepan, stirring well.
- If you long for Markt's ham hock in an oddly smoky pea-and-asparagus soup, the coriander-and-leek-infused bouillon with mussels should charm more.
- If you are nauseated, you could try taking sips of 7-up, ginger ale, fruit juice, tea, broth, tonic water or bouillon.
- A little dash of port and a generous amount of stock provided the perfect bouillon.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.