In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1camorra feminine informalto go out looking for bovver — salir a buscar camorra / bronca informal
- That is the dream the Prime Minister has, and she sent her little Brownshirt bovver boy off to the media to pretend that the dream is happening.
- He could not handle the fact that bovver boy threats and intimidation failed to shut us up.
- More recently coined words not normally used in formal prose are under no such inhibition: bovver, navvy, revving, skivvy are all written with double v.
- He was no bovver boy and could have passed for a city gent: clean cut, camel coat, a product of his times.
- Thanks to a mindless nucleus of bovver boys, they are loathed the length and breadth of Europe, and often beyond.
- McKidd, who plays the leader of the bovver boys, admits he's probably in for a kicking.
- All of which leaves Howard's political bovver boy looking sadly out of the main game in 2002.
- As politicians of all denominations condemned the attacks, it was left to Howard's out-going bovver boy to go for the cheap political points.
- This rough assumption brings other troubling implications in its wake, like cultural bovver boys.
- As an aside, I should say that New Yorkers - at least, the New Yorkers who were there last night - don't really do the bovver boy act very convincingly, which added to the pantomime quality of the whole event.
- 'Bovver boots' are footwear designed to intimidate and injure, or give the impression of doing so, or even make an ironic comment on this.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.