In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The room is well lit by two picture windows and a bow window, and also includes a stone fireplace with matching hearth and wooden mantle.
- The lounge has a marble fireplace with a fitted gas flame fire and a large five-frame bow window.
- The drawing room has a large bow window to take advantage of sea views out over Scotsman's Bay, Dublin Bay, a Martello tower and Howth in the distance
- Its bow windows and stained glass reminded Bill of ‘a seaside pavilion’.
- A fine bow window, hung with gold-embroidered muslin, and also shaded with heavy plush curtains, commands the ever-varying gay panorama of Fifth Avenue.
- From the bow windows, you can see the market square of Allendale, a pretty Northumberland village about 45 minutes’ drive west of Newcastle.
- Through an open archway to one side is an equally stylish dining room, with its own bow window.
- The 104 square metres of accommodation includes an entrance hall and a reception room with a bow window, ceiling coving and an attractive fireplace with tiled inset.
- The plans for All Saints Lutheran Church, Phoenix, include a large bow window on one side of the worship space affording a dramatic view of mountains in the distance.
- Nelson looked at the charts that lay before him on the table and then peered up at the Observation Nose where he saw Norman Thompson sitting in front of the bow windows.
- It is upstairs, with a large bow window, and ‘looks down the avenue of limes' - due west.
- Specialty products, like greenhouse windows and bow windows, can dramatically change the look and function of a room.
- Off the entrance hall is a cloakroom, and TV / sitting-room with a bow window to the front.
- The graceful curve of a Bow window is a lovely way to open any room and capture a view.
- A deep walk-in bow window gives the impression of a bright and airy conservatory.
- Today, with restoration, bow windows have been replaced, with French windows, opening on to a terrace.
- Double doors open into another oak panelled area, the morning room, while behind it is a good-sized dining room with bow window overlooking the rear garden.
- A bow window provides panoramic views over the lake.
- Off this, there is an elegant reception room with a floor-to-ceiling bow window and a cast-iron and marble fireplace which has cast-iron doors to draw across the open hearth.
- This room leads directly to the library, which has a large bow window facing south.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.