In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Anatomylarge bowel — intestino grueso masculine
- to move / open one's bowels — mover el vientre
- Most infections are caused by bacteria that live harmlessly in your bowel.
- It coats the inside of the bowel and makes it easier to see on the x-rays.
- Cancer of the small bowel, the longer, thinner part of the intestines is much rarer.
- Other operations included a double bowel and bladder transplant and treatment for a burst appendix.
- In contrast to those of the large bowel, benign villous adenomas of the urinary tract are rare.
- One baby was lying on each side of her stomach but her bowel sat in a band across it, and was so heavy it was like carrying a third child.
- The pelvic floor is formed of layers of muscle that support the uterus, bowel and bladder.
- The colon is the large intestine or lower bowel and sits in the abdomen, forming the last part of the digestive tract.
- It often affects more than one part of the bowel leaving normal, unaffected areas in-between.
- Try taking some laxatives to help the muscles of the bowel to constrict.
- When the disease affects only the rectum - the final portion of the bowel, it is known as proctitis.
- There are plans for a national bowel screening program to begin here in Australia.
- The upper cut end of the bowel is brought out through this opening and the edges are stitched to the margins of the opening.
- Terrified and claustrophobic she vomited and evacuated her bowel and bladder.
- The doctor will listen to your description of symptoms and will probably want to know about your bowel habit.
- This misplaced tissue may be found on the ovaries, uterus, bowel, pelvis and abdomen.
- Peritonitis causes the normal bowel movement to stop and the bowel to become blocked.
- Less commonly, endometriosis can occur on the bladder, bowel or other organs.
- So when you say permeability you mean the bowel literally becomes more leaky than it should be.
- The large intestine or large bowel consists of the colon and the section before the anus, the rectum.
literaryin the bowels of the earth — en las entrañas de la tierra
- He was deep in the bowels of the Utopian hierarchy's realm, so there was no turning back now.
- Of course, I am doing most of my work in a windowless meeting room deep in the bowels of the structure.
- No wonder there's an air of trepidation deep in the bowels of the new Mound complex as they look forward to seeing the entries.
- He would have to take it deep into the bowels of the earth, for the glorious Garland Battle was about to begin.
- Dark things were happening last week, deep in the bowels of Scottish Labour, as rival factions settled accounts.
- But what if someone stood up and admitted whatever he held deep within the bowels of his soul.
- He came upon an alley deep within the bowels of the city and spotted his prey below him.
- Once she was sure the rope was secure she lowered the bucket into the deep bowels of the well.
- Deep in bowels of the mansion was the epicentre of communication technology and field command.
- The clerk practically jumped from his chair and scurried off, deep into the bowels of the office.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.