In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1juego semejante a la petanca que se juega sobre césped
- It will include badminton courts, weights and other gym equipment, indoor bowls, aerobics, football and basketball.
- Betong, a Thai version of lawn bowls, is becoming increasingly popular.
- They say writing letters to the editor of the local paper is a sure sign of the onset of senility, along with talking to yourself and playing bingo or lawn bowls.
- The format of the match, which was held at Thanet Road, saw each triple having two woods, playing two games of both indoor bowls and short mat.
- It is the role of the shooters to hit and move the cochonnet to their team's advantage, in much the same way as you would move the jack in lawn bowls.
- I took up pursuits and hobbies such as chess and bowls previously denied me.
- Short mat indoor bowls re-commenced on Tuesday night at the Town Hall.
- However, as time went on she entered into the activities of the home and in time was participating in all kinds of things from bingo and indoor bowls to singing which she always loved.
- The club will travel to play bowls in Mountmellick on Tuesday, May 25.
- Now Ian aims to spend the money on a family holiday to the United States, but first he will be trying to land traditionally the biggest prize in bowls, The Waterloo, when it starts this weekend.
- The Kalbarri Golf Club was founded in 1969 and in 1980, members of the club also installed two greens so that lawn bowls could also be played.
- Since his retirement he'd taken up playing golf, lawn bowls and bingo but other than that most of his time was spent in his garden, of which he was very proud.
- Of all the many sports in which she has found success since, from skiing to lawn bowls to table tennis to powerlifting, Moffat has never quite got round to putting things right when it comes to netball.
- Lawn bowls, fishing and jogging all proved popular, and several crew members were lucky enough to fly with Horn Island-based Coastwatch.
- Other variants such as carpet bowls and indoor bowls have been popular at one time or another.
- I meet up with former work colleagues on Thursday afternoons, in winter for snooker in South Bank, in summer for bowls in Rowntree Park.
- However, it is not proposing the bowls centres and golf course be shut.
- Perth's suburbs and streets have English names and gardens full of pruned roses, and retirees in starched white play sedate games of lawn bowls in quiet suburbs.
- Sam's great-grandparents also competed for England in bowls.
- A game of bowls, of course, will follow the meeting.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.