In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cuerda del arco feminine
- He had begun to poke his head up to fire at the balcony when a green flash sliced through horns, bridle, and stock, the taut bowstring and fragments of bow whipping back to gouge his arm.
- Some accounts of the battle say that the English archers had kept their flax bowstrings dry by putting them under their helmets as it had been raining the day before.
- The bowstring should have enough twists to keep the string round.
- Mark the location of the grip on the bowstring and unstring the bow.
- Split the bowstring strands at the marked location in line with the bow.
- Always use the manufacturer's recommended number of strands in the bowstring for the draw weight of the bow.
- A forked nock suitable for trackless crossbows can be made by enlarging the fork of a plastic arrow nock with a file or a heated metal rod to fit around the larger diameter of crossbow bowstrings.
- The archers drew back their bowstrings and took aim at the horde as it slowly inched forward.
- They are worn to protect the arm from the bowstring as it moves forward after the release.
- I would recommend that all archers, of whatever discipline, should learn to make and serve bowstrings, and set up and fletch arrows.
- To release the arrow correctly, the fingers holding the bowstring must allow the string to slip off the fingers.
- The easiest way of doing this is to have a ‘Tiller stick’ and a pair of bowstrings.
- This bowstring material is precision twisted with a smooth wax finish.
- The main reason for this is that, at the instant when the arrow leaves the bowstring, parts of the bow itself are moving.
- She replaced the bowstring on her crossbow, having broken it earlier by catching it on the sheath of her sword.
- I pulled the quiver from my shoulder and pressed the white button on the bow that sent the bowstring from one end to the other in less than a second to protect from hand shock.
- The centre lever is depressed to set the trigger, then the rope is looped around the bowstring and locked into the jaw.
- When it was fixed on the bowstring and pulled back, the arrow left the string with nothing pushing it.
- He placed it perfectly in the bow drawing the bowstring.
- He reached for an arrow and nocked it on the bowstring.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.