In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1el 26 de diciembre, día festivo en Gran Bretaña, Australia, Canadá, Nueva Zelandia
- Before Boxing Day last year, the coastal towns and villages of Sri Lanka had vibrant communities.
- On Boxing Day night the street was likely to be almost deserted, but there was at least one other taxi at the rank.
- The shop I work in is closing Christmas Day and Boxing Day then re-opens it's doors on the Monday.
- On Boxing Day he was safe from the waves that reduced his home to a salty pile of debris.
- On Boxing Day, the poor did receive money from their masters but in hollow clay pots with a slit in the top.
- On Boxing Day they were travelling on a bus from Ham Ban Tota around the coast to have lunch in Galle.
- On Boxing Day she flies to China with some of the top young players to gain experience training with the best in the world.
- I just kept thinking about all my friends and family celebrating Boxing Day.
- On Boxing Day 2002, police discovered a car in Hackney that was linked to a shooting.
- It was expected to be even busier today - the official Boxing Day bank holiday.
- It is claimed that some have not had a day off since Boxing Day and that they are worried at the lack of training they have received.
- When I was a child Boxing Day was my favourite Day of the Christmas Holidays.
- In the meantime, have a great Yuletide starting with a bookie-bashing Boxing Day.
- And Boxing Day saw the start of a concerted attempt to kill the story by discrediting us.
- From Boxing Day onwards, the music of the past 10 years has a crucial role to play.
- All three sites will be closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
- On Boxing Day, she and her family were swept by the force of the waves into a deep lagoon.
- After the hectic run-up to Christmas, Boxing Day is traditionally a day to relax.
- Christmas and Boxing Day have come and gone, and everything was really lovely.
- There will be no services on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and trains will start later than usual on Tuesday.
- En Gran Bretaña es el 26 de diciembre, día festivo oficial en que se llevan a cabo actividades deportivas y de caza. Antiguamente era la ocasión en que se regalaban pequeñas sumas de dinero (Christmas boxes) a los comerciantes y a sus empleados. En Irlanda se denomina (Saint) Stephen's Day.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.