In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Upstairs was a master bedroom, a second bedroom and a box room.
- She thought he was under the bedclothes in the box room.
- Although a Chinese and a Korean girl came looking at the box room on separate occasions, they didn't take up the room and it remained empty for I'd say, the last three months of our tenancy.
- Just as she prepared herself to speak, Ronnie sauntered into the little box room, ducking a little as she came through the open doorway.
- The largest room in the flat has been created by incorporating the former box room into a kitchen dining room.
- Our attic bedroom was used as a box room in E's day.
- My digs was me and my brother in a little box room, with every room filled with people, a cooker on the landing and a shed in the back with a tin bath.
- They are staying in what used to be the box room (so called because it was full of boxes, not because of its size), which is now called the guest bedroom/computer room.
- Meanwhile I worked nights in a bar and a nightclub to pay my rent - £111 per week for a box room in a shared house, while I was earning about £130 per week.
- He's not a man for clutter - after all, there's a box room for that, he points out.
- Most of these walls were plasterboard, but the box room was solid plaster, good structural walls there, good enough to stop a bullet anyway.
- The ‘studio’ turned out to be a box room on a council estate.
- After a year in a cramped box room in the attic of Derby Grove, I was now given the pick of the house, and chose a large room on the middle floor.
- There was another small bedroom, like a box room, which we used as an office.
- ‘We have three bedrooms, but one is so small it is a box room, and I have my bed, my son's cot, our drawers, my wardrobe and my sister's wardrobe in there,’ she said.
- And then I would return home to my box room and nagging, broken family.
- But my study is definitely in hand and once it's completed, we'll be able to move on to the box room and start sifting through the junk and the good stuff.
- Aunt Rachel pointed out that the bathroom was next door to us, her room was the one at the front on our other side and the small room at the top of the stairs was the box room.
- You were made to shred four years of paperwork with a machine that could only take 3 sheets at a time, and in a unventilated box room.
- There are also 2 double bedrooms and a smaller box room.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.