In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1novio masculinepololo masculine Chile informallive-in boyfriend — compañero masculine
- For some reason I find it very difficult to meet potential boyfriends or dates.
- We can keep an eye on her apartment and squeeze information from previous boyfriends.
- Have you read what some of your former boyfriends have said about you in a tabloid this past week?
- In some cases, their husbands or boyfriends have even paid the £200 cost of them taking part.
- Too many of my best friends have been boyfriends, and when the relationship ends, so does that.
- We don't want to talk about face creams and washing routines with our boyfriends or friend's boyfriends.
- Granted, some of the questionees were women, but they all voted for their boyfriends, so they don't count.
- On her date, her boyfriend took her to see the film Gladiator which she detested.
- Why do male friends and boyfriends from the past always get in touch when their lives are falling apart?
- My German boyfriend has just moved in with me and our relationship has started to fall apart.
- They talk about how sweet their boyfriends are and how much fun they had on dates.
- And anyhow I am only 19 and I have my whole life ahead of me to have a whole hoard of other boyfriends.
- For a start some girls have a tendency to act a little differently because of boyfriends.
- Julie has been missing before but is generally found in the company of her boyfriend.
- She tells me she has a boyfriend who does mathematical modelling for a financial company.
- Many have so far refused to give evidence against the men whom they regard as their boyfriends.
- We both had boyfriends, and we both wanted to spend time with them.
- A relationship is ended but is far from over when the boyfriend refuses to let go.
- His mum was a single mother who had a succession of boyfriends, none of whom were able to act as a father figure to him or his sister Denise.
- Today, we have stopped celebrating, leaving it to the boyfriends to do the job!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.