In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(as form of address)muchachochaval Spain informalchavo Mexico informalpibe River Plate informalcabro Chile informal
- Look here boyo while I pick apart your statement.
- Given the way pro-snooping laws are proliferating, architects can now expect regular visits from the security boyos.
- If I command him to put the newest posts at the top like every other bleeding blog in the world - are you listening boyo - will he obey?
- Make sure the Millennium Stadium is full, boyos, and you might just do it.
- And then he bought the magazine which has his name on every boyo's lips.
- Perhaps pharmaceuticals and biotech stuff, if the animal rights boyos can be kept at bay.
- ‘I just want you to know, boyo,’ he said, ‘that you had my vote.’
- There is a faint trace of a smile, but he does not flinch: whatever the honorary boyo's faults, he is unlikely to be bought with a knighthood.
- More and more people are opting to stay at home on New Year's eve because if you're in a pub you are in severe danger of being ploughed out of the way by a herd of thirsty boyos trying to get to the bar.
- Rally round the flag, boyos, to celebrate 100 years of hate.
- As for the New Wave boyos, well, how dated are they when you listen to them now?
- These four boyos are all united by a total disregard for their own personal safety and a burning desire to destroy the boundaries of taste and decency.
- I am most certainly your elder, and I will take you over my knee if I have to, boyo.
- With a broken pelvis, police interrogations and his girlfriend dead, this boyo has a whole heap of problems.
- It's lovely, boyo, as they probably wouldn't dream of saying in these parts.
- TV advertising ain't cheap, boyo.
- It may look greener in the next field, boyos, but what you've got right beside you is just as fine.
- Get your Holyhead ferry timetables out, boyo - figures from the British Land Registry show property prices in some parts of Wales rising by a massive 49% in the year to September.
- For instance, if I swear at politicians, I can generally explain why I do it and the boyo gets to find out a bit more.
- But if you start off by aiming at giving the customer an honest value with an honest welcome, boyo, you'll be in the running.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.