In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A bracket on the wall beside a window, still with its adjustment screw, remains of where Gregory's telescope was set up.
- We are reviewing all the brackets which support the lights to assess whether they are acceptable.
- This corridor was lit only be well-spaced torches burning in brackets on the walls, rather than the ornate oil lamps that hung from the ceilings of the more public parts of the palace.
- Even failure to fix a loose slate, or remove a wall bracket for hanging flowers could land a homeowner behind bars, according to official warnings sent to householders in Co Meath.
- On the center lamp the decorative arm brackets are modeled on both sides.
- Two unlit torches were attached to brackets in the wall either side of the sacred flame.
- He himself had tiny concerns about the accuracy of his numbers and the possibility that the weight and limited angular freedom of the supporting brackets would somehow cause a problem.
- The combination of features were that you have a wall bracket which is U-shaped, it screws directly onto a wall, and then there is a support bracket, also U-shaped, which folds down.
- The seven companions were left in silence - the only light stuttering from oily torches in brackets along the walls, as there were no windows.
- There was a firepit for warmth in Winter, and brackets on the white-painted walls which held oil lamps.
- Aside from these there were some miscellaneous mounting brackets / supports, thermal compound, and some screws.
- She had even taken the precaution of chaining the baskets to brackets on the outside wall of her house, but the thieves still managed to take them.
- The store would be one of only a handful across the country selling shelves, brackets and other DIY items throughout the night.
- The C&O used portable dual Mars lights on the forward end of its RDC's, hanging them on a bracket attached to the door and powered via an extension cord.
- An adhesive strip on the back wall attaches the bracket to the support surface.
- At the top of the stairwell were two great wooden doors, possibly with some sort of carving on them, though it was hard to see in the dim half-light cast by the torches, which hung in brackets along the walls.
- One of York's free-standing gas lamps in the small road off Lawrence Street was to be replaced with an up-to-date electric mercury discharge lamp attached to a wall bracket.
- Check the deal you are offered, as wall mounting brackets can add several hundred euro to an attractive price.
- Use wall mounted baskets attached to shelf brackets for an attractive shelf that can hold bathroom supplies or home office paperwork.
- It is ornately Victorian in design and comes with a pair of brackets so that it can be attached to a wall.
1.1Printingcorchete masculineto open/close brackets — abrir/cerrar corchetes
- in brackets — entre corchetes
- curly brackets — corchetes redondos
- If members look at the clause, they will see that it has the word ‘New’ written there, then, in brackets, the word ‘unanimous’.
- Total available marks are given in brackets, followed by the marks actually awarded.
- The figures in brackets are the maximum to which the ship can be upgraded.
- Suddenly, nicely rounded figures like e19,000 were appearing in the price columns, with the figure in punts in brackets adjoining.
- The third column contains pitch pairs in brackets.
- In the following summary a coupling ratio of 4 has been used with the figures in brackets corresponding to a coupling ratio of 4.7.
- So is it possible to get real outcomes when we're talking about so many people, so many words, so many brackets around sentences and the like?
- In this and subsequent figures, brackets identify major groups of seed plants.
- The figures in brackets are arrived at classifying the most common Italian openings into these three groups.
- The figures in brackets identify the UK's ten biggest mortgage lenders.
- For a literal translation of the Ahadith, the words within brackets should be omitted.
- Some of the dates listed are separated by brackets and are a good illustration of the various contradictory claims made by members of the Abashiri group.
- For each of the top poets, the number of votes obtained is given in brackets after his or her place number.
- The numbers according to the older 64-section scheme are given in brackets though not used.
- One of the fibers that compose the TDT is marked with a bracket.
- The words in brackets indicate the opinion presented by the computer in Versions 2 & 4.
- The words in brackets, ‘ignoring the possibility of an appeal out of time with permission’, point to such an application being different in kind.
- If we take the words in brackets which are not contested, that leaves really two points in the section.
- The numbers in brackets are the marks that were written in the margins of the Gersaint catalog.
- How refreshing it is to see that most of the adverts for farmland are given in acres often with the hectarage given in brackets.
1.2(British) (parenthesis)paréntesis masculineto add sth in brackets — agregar algo entre paréntesis
2(category)before noun income bracket — banda salarial
- the best car in this price bracket — el mejor coche dentro de esta gama de precios
- his work is difficult to put in any particular bracket — su obra es difícil de catalogar
- the 25-30 age bracket — el grupo etario de entre 25 y 30 años
3(support)soporte masculinefeminine escuadra
1poner entre corchetesponer entre paréntesis British
2(categorize)catalogarshe has been bracketed as a romantic — se la ha catalogado de romántica
- you can't bracket these two cases together — no se puede equiparar estos dos casos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.