In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mezcla de mantequilla, azúcar y coñac que se sirve con ciertos postres
- You can melt it over Christmas pudding instead of brandy butter.
- ‘I shall have hot Christmas pudding with lashings of brandy butter,’ she said merrily.
- The Christmas pudding gift pack includes a perfectly matched dessert wine and brandy butter.
- I love it on the big day itself, scorched by several unsuccessful dousings of brandy, with brandy butter and custard or sweet white sauce.
- But it will still taste good if you make it closer to Christmas - serve with rum or brandy butter for an authentic festive taste.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.