In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1brant goose — barnacla feminine
- Up to 60,000 geese, especially the northern or black brant, summer here.
- We believe that is because brant are reducing the levels of forage to such a low level in all treatments that the vegetation has no ability to compensate for increased grazing even when there is additional fertilization.
- An internal hinge, spring loaded with a rubber band, made the wings quiver in the wind, giving the illusion of a live brant.
- Female brant are strongly philopatric to their location of birth, as is true for other geese.
- We captured brant goslings at a single brood-rearing area used by brant from the Kokechik Bay colony.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.