In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(a un anfitrión) carta de agradecimiento feminine
- ‘Every advertisement I write for the U.S. Travel Service,’ he muses, ‘is a bread-and-butter letter from a grateful immigrant.’
- He never forgot birthdays, bread-and-butter letters or calls to give his students, his friends, playwrights and actors best wishes for their first nights.
- Communications shortcuts like these and thank-you cards are a much bigger part of the stationery business than they were when the bread-and-butter letter was required writing.
- I received not only a splendid bread-and-butter letter from him, but thereafter he frequently wrote to me from school and, if he was not ill, I took him out with us when I visited my own two sons.
- When I got to where Julian was telling Ethan about the B and B, I remembered that I had a story in my files - my mixed-up files - a story about a young man named Noah whose mother insists that he write his grandparents a bread-and-butter letter, a B and B letter.
- Although none of us had slept away from home, the troop leader taught us to compose bread-and-butter letters.
- To describe the restaurant's service it's worth reading the review (a bread-and-butter letter) of our guest-fan.
- Again, I wait, bending close to study the exhibits taped on the hallway wall: Receipts, group photos, bread-and-butter letters from the Policeman's Benevolent Association, each inserted into a protective cellophane sleeve.
- Even his bread-and-butter letters are original and interesting.
- This review, then, is my bread-and-butter letter: ‘Thank you for the complicated joys of your companionship.’
- Write a bread-and-butter letter to the adults who were most responsible for your visit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.