In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1miga (de pan) feminine
2breadcrumbs pluralCookingpan rallado masculinepan molido masculine Mexico
- Tobias looked down embarrassed and wiped away the casserole stain and breadcrumbs.
- The vanilla ice cream, which hadn't melted one bit, had been coated in crushed nuts and breadcrumbs then dropped into the fryer.
- It should be served with bread sauce, thin gravy and fried breadcrumbs.
- Here, I have combined it with breadcrumbs and parsley to make a delicious crust for grilled fish such as whiting, lemon sole or sea bream.
- It was eggplant baked with breadcrumbs and some kind of sauce and cilantro.
- If you have made fresh breadcrumbs, work just a little olive oil into the breadcrumbs so that they glisten but are still quite dry.
- In a bowl, mix fennel puree and breadcrumbs; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the garlic, breadcrumbs and parsley in a food processor and blend briefly, then add the oil, salt and pepper.
- English boiled ham to be eaten cold has toasted breadcrumbs pressed over the fat to make a coating.
- For fresh breadcrumbs use bread that is about three days old so it crumbs easily.
- Now drain the pasta and toss it with the warm garlic breadcrumbs, the grilled sardines, the sliced oranges and the chopped parsley.
- Place the bread in a food processor and whizz until breadcrumbs are formed.
- This month the big, fat summer halibut are grilled under breadcrumbs.
- Stuff that manicotti with breadcrumbs and serve on a piece of garlic toast.
- Add the breadcrumbs by the tablespoon until the mix is firm enough to shape into balls.
- This consists of mussels deep-fried in a light batter served with a sauce of oil, garlic, breadcrumbs and yoghurt.
- While the soup is simmering, make the meatballs by combining the meat, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and breadcrumbs and cook, stirring all the time, until golden.
- Place the chickpeas in a food processor with the peanut butter and breadcrumbs and whizz to form a thick paste.
- Lightly brush the sheet of filo dough with olive oil, then sprinkle with roughly a tablespoon of breadcrumbs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.