In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine razafeminine variedada new breed of athletes/managers — una nueva generación de atletas/directivos
- a new breed of warships — un nuevo género de barcos de guerra
- a dying breed — una especie en vías de extinción
- a breed apart — un mundo aparte
- These values enhance the accuracy of selection decisions by establishing the relative genetic value of a sire within a breed.
- Once you decide which breed you'd like to raise, what kind of facilities will you need?
- This should also be true of cattle within the same breed.
- They went to great lengths to find the most powerful of each animal breed, and take a fang from their mouths.
- As someone who supports rare breeds and animal welfare, I'll have to side with PETA on this one.
- Each steer within a breed group was randomly assigned a number between one and four.
- In the section for cattle, about 600 stud animals of 15 different breeds and 16 slaughter steers have been entered.
- It's one way of keeping yourself up-to-date on what's happening, especially with a plant breed.
- The origin of the Maltese as a distinct breed has never been precisely determined.
- We talked about the breed species and of its culture.
- The quantity and quality of fats in traditional animal breeds varies, too.
- Furthermore, since humans have been in New Zealand, many breeds of native flora and fauna have become extinct.
- I would point out that we have special breeds of animals that we bred for hundreds of years.
- Regardless of what breed you choose, or where it comes from, ALL dogs need training.
- This text would be very applicable for an introductory course in animal breeds, selection, evaluation and judging.
- Rankings for purebred producers are useful within respective breeds.
- Once you decide which breed you want, you will need to consider the age of the dog.
- Most calves in Britain are cross-breds with blood from both native and continental breeds.
- Even so, some dogs within these breeds bark more than they should, some more than others.
- He wrestles crocodiles and captures all breeds of dangerous animals for a living.
1(animals) criarthis stable has bred many champions — de esta cuadra han salido muchos campeones
- they are breeding a new type of wheat — están desarrollando el cultivo de un nuevo tipo de trigo
2(raise, educate)the country breeds good athletes — el país produce buenos atletas
- I'm a Londoner born and bred — nací y me crié en Londres
- we breed them tough in these parts — los hacemos machotes por aquí
3(violence/disease/despair) engendrar(disease/violence/despair) generarsuccess breeds success — el éxito llama al éxito
2(violence/despair) surgir(violence/despair) generarse
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.