In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(reproduction)reproducción femininebefore noun breeding season — época de cría feminine
- In both cases the result is assortative mating or breeding among mates that possess similar genes.
- As soon as breeding is completed, whelping pens are prepared for kits.
- They do not have complete knowledge of breeding and rearing young parrots.
- We allow only the 50% fittest crows to survive before the breeding season starts.
- Water management to prevent mosquito breeding is essential for effective control.
- This would provide a breeding area for fish and other marine life, enhancing the biological and economic productivity of the sea.
- This results in higher competition for scarce breeding and foraging resources.
- The study was concluded at the end of the breeding season each year.
- The lives of innumerable other animals that rely on oak woodlands during migration or breeding could be disrupted.
- They possess fully-functional reproductive systems, showing that they are capable of normal breeding.
- Finding and eliminating breeding places is an important first step in control.
- Some geneticists and population viability experts suggest 300 to 400 breeding females are needed.
- Sanitation is at least 75 percent of the fly control program preventing fly breeding.
- Water management that prevents mosquito breeding is essential for effective control.
- They occur in small bachelor herds or in breeding herds consisting of male and female with young.
2(raising)feminine críamasculine cultivo(pig/cow) reproductor
3(upbringing)a man/woman of breeding — un hombre/una mujer con clase / de buena cuna
- politeness is a sign of good breeding — la cortesía es señal de buena educación / de buena crianza
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.