In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(bricks) enladrillado masculine(bricks) ladrillos masculine(way bricks are laid) aparejo masculine
- Early in the season, when a lot of bare earth is still visible, the brickwork become the focal point of the garden.
- Decorative brickwork with an interlaced pattern covers the exterior.
- The brickwork is laid in Flemish bond with a molded brick water table.
- Homeowners may also decorate by way of variations in thatching patterns, brickwork, or woodworking techniques.
- The room was lit by cylindrical skylights, each placed above an alcove of unplastered brickwork with recessed pointing.
- We recommend that the top triangle of brickwork of the front gable wall be taken down to first floor window head level.
- The design team exposed the existing textures by sandblasting and repointing stone and brickwork.
- The contrast of old brickwork with the crystalline nature of the new structure is a classic Modernist move.
- The mortar has leached, leaving crevices in the red brickwork.
- The Flemish bond brickwork with decoratively glazed headers recalls colonial architectural details.
- In contrast with the facile legibility of the older tower's brickwork, the metal cladding is apparently casually crumpled.
- The smooth red brickwork and fancy white window frames seemed untouched by human hands.
- I indicated the houses with collapsed roofs, broken windows, charred brickwork and dismantled hedges.
- The optimum way of ensuring an unblemished appearance is to keep brickwork clean as walls are being built.
- There is the occasional bit of moiré shimmer in patterns such as brickwork, but it is not obtrusive.
- The sitting room has polished timber flooring and original exposed brickwork on two walls.
- It was considered unsightly, and always covered with either a cement render or a skin of brickwork.
- While plant growth can shorten the life of brickwork, a well-constructed wall should still last for many decades.
- The brickwork is all of one color and laid in Flemish bond.
- An ingenious pattern of brickwork bonding was adopted to ensure satisfactory composite action.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.