In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1novia femininethe bride and bridegroom — los recién casados
- a bride of Christ — una esposa de Cristo
- How do I prevent the all too familiar pre-wedding bloating experienced by so many brides on their wedding day?
- Danish brides and grooms used to confound the evil spirits by cross-dressing.
- Remember that the bride and groom are going to be the guests of honor at this party.
- Like all brides, Meredith was having seconds thoughts.
- With the brides and grooms gone the suits played some dance music and the crowd started dancing.
- The Celtics have many superstitions and traditions surrounding weddings and brides in particular.
- I've heard of self-absorbed brides and grooms, but this is a whole new level.
- In the presence of family and friends, the grooms kissed their brides with love and tenderness.
- Vulnerability to domestic violence may be encountered as daughters, sisters, brides, and wives.
- Therefore, parents take it upon themselves to choose the brides and grooms for their children.
- The chair is for the bride to sit and the groom to remove the bride's garter from her leg.
- Traditional Japanese brides wear three wedding robes - a white kimono, a coloured kimono, and a white dress and veil.
- It's interesting, Antonia, because brides and grooms are so much more pragmatic these days.
- The only two people whose opinions should matter are that of the bride and the groom.
- True to her spirited image, the bride proposed to the groom as he sped around a track in California.
- The bride and groom fed each other cake, and the recipe for the cake was given to Lily.
- The wedding ceremony can include the gift of a coin from the groom to the bride to acknowledge this role.
- Now there's a girl who knows how to dress for an event without stealing the bride's thunder.
- The bride and groom may wish to give the timeless gift of crystal, in the form of a clock or vase.
- The second part of the ceremony is performed by the bride and groom.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.