In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Suggesting that this is an opera about fidelity, he has made all the characters brides and bridegrooms.
- The groom's father and the bridegroom look sheepish and shake their heads.
- Despite the persistent rumours that the bridegroom was a woman in disguise, the wedding went ahead.
- Thus before World War II bridegrooms were 27 year old on the average and brides 23.
- Everyone grew silent as the three bridegrooms came in the room.
- At the feast which follows the three bridegrooms wager on whose wife is the most docile and submissive.
- Both the bridegroom and bride usually wear formal clothes for this event.
- The proud bridegroom is an entrepreneur in Memphis, TN.
- The bridegroom invests everything he has in the wedding and invites everyone.
- The Danaides murdered their bridegrooms on their wedding night.
- I attended a wedding in which the bridegroom made a speech so serious that I wondered if I had attended a funeral.
- As a result, these men will become the prospective bridegrooms for ladies of the West!
- The bridegroom and his relatives ride after her.
- The bridegroom is a graduate of Florida A&M University.
- It is bad luck if the bridegroom sees the wedding dress before the day of the wedding.
- Men give money to a bridegroom on his wedding day to help him meet expenses.
- The bride's mom tells her she disapproves of the bridegroom and won't be attending the wedding.
- The bridegroom then speaks, thanking everyone for attending.
- His captain was acting like a nervous bridegroom.
- He also plays one of the main characters: the bridegroom.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.