In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And this has a sagging effect on the story, which launches itself with such brio and yet is strangely underpowered.
- It has nothing of the sheer brio of L' Ancienne Auberge.
- If the directors are vaunted for intelligence and brio, why is this film so vacuous, stupid and lazy?
- Branson for better or worse is brio personified.
- Burstein captured every subtle variation of the melodic line with scintillating brio and vivacity.
- The voice of the translator must be prose, not verse, if the original composition is to be sung with spirit and brio.
- Her assignment, which she carries off with breathtaking brio, is to provide explicit political content and laughter.
- While serious in subject and sad in fact, the play is written with brio and excellent humour.
- The sheer brio of these pieces makes them both unsettling and hypnotic.
- This balletic score received a performance filled with rhythmic verve and brio.
- There was more brio than substance, and not a memorable tune in sight.
- It does convey with brio American theatrical life in the middle two quarters of the nineteenth century.
- The Stoltzmans played it with dash and brio to spare.
- This piece requires non-stop brio and a kind of splashy physical heroics.
- He conducted it with flair, brio, and real Mozartean style.
- The poem's breathless momentum and brio defy ironical posturing.
- The intoxicating brio of the coda capped a performance that approached that rarified aura of perfection!
- Now nearly 80, the ex-Harvard Prof is still full of brio and a force to be reckoned with.
- He was pardoned by a governor who admired his brio.
- Brinkley's legacy can be witnessed every time a TV commentator describes a Washington scene with brio and wit.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.