In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This balletic score received a performance filled with rhythmic verve and brio.
- Burstein captured every subtle variation of the melodic line with scintillating brio and vivacity.
- Her assignment, which she carries off with breathtaking brio, is to provide explicit political content and laughter.
- The sheer brio of these pieces makes them both unsettling and hypnotic.
- It has nothing of the sheer brio of L' Ancienne Auberge.
- Brinkley's legacy can be witnessed every time a TV commentator describes a Washington scene with brio and wit.
- While serious in subject and sad in fact, the play is written with brio and excellent humour.
- If the directors are vaunted for intelligence and brio, why is this film so vacuous, stupid and lazy?
- There was more brio than substance, and not a memorable tune in sight.
- The voice of the translator must be prose, not verse, if the original composition is to be sung with spirit and brio.
- Now nearly 80, the ex-Harvard Prof is still full of brio and a force to be reckoned with.
- The Stoltzmans played it with dash and brio to spare.
- The poem's breathless momentum and brio defy ironical posturing.
- It does convey with brio American theatrical life in the middle two quarters of the nineteenth century.
- He conducted it with flair, brio, and real Mozartean style.
- And this has a sagging effect on the story, which launches itself with such brio and yet is strangely underpowered.
- Branson for better or worse is brio personified.
- The intoxicating brio of the coda capped a performance that approached that rarified aura of perfection!
- This piece requires non-stop brio and a kind of splashy physical heroics.
- He was pardoned by a governor who admired his brio.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.