In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Specialism must be a Britishism, I told myself.
- Co-workers of state employee Alice Meredith say that since a one-week trip to England last month, her use of Britishisms has become an annoyance.
- Accordingly, I made a conscious effort to avoid overdoing the unfamiliar Briticisms and obscure pop-cultural references, providing explanations and links whenever they were needed.
- More open to interpretation is ‘off one's own bat ’, which certainly originates from cricket, but is not always marked as a Briticism in American dictionaries.
- And while you're about it, give a thought to other delightful Britishisms that have roots in Indian words: mulligatawny soup, Old Blighty, tickety-boo, going doolally…
- He comes from a party, he says, ‘that lost four elections on the trot’ (a wonderful Britishism for ‘in a row’).
- A reader who knows put me right: ‘one-off is a Britishism that means single or one-time.’
- She's reading an Ian McEwan book for school, and I have to help her with its Britishisms.
- Scholars of English in the US are as inclined to point out Briticisms as their colleagues in the UK are to point out Americanisms.
- I got a new camera - a proper camera as the English would say (that's my favorite Briticism: proper).
- The simulation is perfectly fluent; the program even writes in Britishisms: maths, programme, telly, labour.
- This article chronicles some of these differences, although some of the proclaimed Briticisms here don't seem so British to me at all.
vocablo o expresión del inglés británico
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.