In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was the one, who encouraged me to take to the broad jump.
- Did not run well at the Combine, but his 10-3 broad jump was best among running backs.
- At the Berlin games, the last before World War II, Hitler walked out on Jesse Owens, refusing to watch the African-American athlete compete in the broad jump.
- He also leaps one inch higher in the vertical jump and four inches farther in the broad jump than he had at the NFL Scouting Combine in late February.
- As a freshman, Breck tried out for the track squad and lettered in the broad jump and 100-yard dash.
- Suggs did not lift because of a tight shoulder, but he completed the rest of his workout with an impressive broad jump, vertical jump and short shuttle.
- We did the static stations first, which are those for standing broad jump, shuttle run, sit-ups and chin-ups.
- Within a span of 45 minutes, he tied the world record in the 100-meter dash and broke world records in the broad jump, 200-yard dash, and 220-yard low hurdles.
- Brackins also performs in the broad jump, 20-and 60-yard shuttles and the 3-cone drill.
- His first trial at the running broad jump was not satisfactory.
- Next there is a wrestling match, the broad jump, the javelin, and boxing.
- The players also were tested in the bench press, broad jump, vertical jump, short shuttle and 3-cone drill before concluding the workout with positional drills.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.