In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Without dismounting, he drew his broadsword and rapped the hilt against the gate.
- The rebels were not only outnumbered but outclassed in weapons, being themselves heavily dependent upon broadswords and shields while their enemies had muskets and bayonets and above all artillery.
- He raised his sword arm in a fit of rage, preparing to strike her with his broadsword, leaving himself wide open for attack.
- The crowd roared as Derryn swung his sword up, the large blade of his broadsword knocking aside the slash aimed at his head.
- We started to talk about knives and Mick told me he had a huge collection of knives and swords, ranging from tiny little daggers up to Katanas and Medieval broadswords.
- In the case she noticed a gargantuan broadsword, the blade about four and a half feet long.
- He leapt from his chair and hurtled around the desk, pausing only for a second at the door to strap on his gun and a broadsword.
- The sword was just as deadly as a broadsword but lighter and easier to handle.
- She saw three men rush in, all carrying broadswords, heavy swords that were almost as hard to block as axes.
- He himself took his broadsword, katana and short hunting knife for his leg.
- When he reappeared, he had a small pack as well as a broadsword and two smaller swords meant for cooperative use strapped to his back.
- There was no skill with the long sword, and Jash wielded the broadsword with a shocking incompetence.
- Suddenly the boy's eyes flashed a dark blue before he began to charge forward, swinging his broadsword with a single arm.
- They brandished war hammers, axes, broadswords, and spears of all shapes and sizes.
- The axe shaved off an inch of steel off of the broadsword's blade.
- The battle armour he always wore clanked incessantly against the scabbard of the broadsword at his waist.
- His arms were thick and muscular, on his back was strapped a thick broadsword, it's hilt made of bronze and silver.
- First of which, the hair was in a ponytail and her sword was a black broadsword.
- The armored soldiers, bearing their large broadswords, axes and spears, flooded into the cave, making the only exit closed from escape.
- Hung on the walls were swords of every kind: kodachis, katanas, fencing swords, even the heavy and antique broadswords.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.