In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- ‘No, Michigan,’ I answered, noticing a vortex, or slight swirl of the fog, forming at his black leather brogans.
- Is it possible to get Walkover brogans anywhere anymore?
- GI Joe's field boots were basically wartime versions of the rugged brogans familiar to farm labourers and other working stiffs who spent a lot of time on their feet.
- Exceptions include a deliciously carefree little girl who has leaped high into the air despite her cumbersome skirt and heavy brogans.
- I keep a photo of him on my desk at age six or seven, decked out in overalls and brogans, clutching in his hands a bunch of potatoes from the garden.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.