In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pedorreta feminine informal
- But all last week's election in Brazil got from Wall Street was a Bronx cheer.
- So it's no wonder that the loudest Bronx cheer in Washington goes to lame-duck Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe, who has presided over two disastrous election setbacks in 24 months.
- She shuddered, making a noise like a Bronx cheer.
- Connie reacted with a Bronx cheer and two thumbs down.
- I heard a noise that I vaguely recognized as a Bronx cheer coming from Leia.
- Any hint of talking down to the troops with high-flown hyperbole was promptly greeted with catcalls and Bronx cheers.
- What he heard was the British equivalent of a Bronx cheer.
- When 44 states denied having any such schools and the remaining states admitted to having a combined total of fewer than 50, one safety expert greeted the publication of the lists with a Bronx cheer.
- Baseball got a Bronx cheer from fans on Nov. 6 when, for the first time in a century, it announced plans to eliminate two teams.
- People waved pom-poms, held up signs, and mixed Brooklyn catcalls with Bronx cheers.
- His insistence that global warming was a serious and growing crisis was also greeted with Bronx cheers, as conservatives insisted that global warming was a fiction conjured up by extremist environmental groups.
- New York is one of the most reliably Democratic cities in the nation, and it's hardly surprising to hear a Republican president getting a Bronx cheer in that part of the country.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.