In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(shoe/paint/eyes/dress) marrón(dress/shoe/paint/eyes) (invariable adjective) café Mexico Central America Chile(dress/eyes/paint/shoe) carmelito Colombia(hair) castaño
2(person/skin) (naturally) moreno(person/skin) (suntanned) bronceado(skin/person) (suntanned) morenoto get brown — broncearse
1marrón masculinecafé masculine Mexico Central America Chilecarmelito masculine Colombia
- Cook over a gentle heat until the vegetables have softened but not browned.
- Zino recommends that salt be added after the patty has been browned because salt brings out the juices.
- The smell when these are browning under the grill is amazing.
- She tossed dough balls from hand to hand and placed them on a hot tin sheet over the fire where they browned in seconds.
- Stir the vegetables around in the juices, then put the tin back in the oven to finish browning and caramelising at the edges.
- Just browned a roast on both sides and stuck it in the crock pot with water and onion soup mix.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese has slightly browned.
- Cover loosely with foil towards the end of baking to prevent the cake from browning.
- Now baste the turkey very thoroughly with a long-handled spoon, then return it to the oven for a further 30-45 minutes to finish browning - give it as much basting as you can during this final cooking period.
- If they appear stressed and browned by drought, most will rejuvenate after a good cut back and regular watering.
- From time to time, push the spuds, particularly those that are browning quickly to one side, and spoon any cooking juices over any that appear dry.
- We found fried eggs cooked too quickly and pancakes browned unevenly in the Specifics because the centre of the pan was hotter than the edges.
- Half an hour before kick-off melt the butter and olive oil in a heavy, medium-sized saucepan and add the onions, cooking them very gently for 10 minutes without browning.
- It is important not to crowd the pan, so the beef may need to be browned in 2 batches.
- Combine in a frying pan with the olive oil, garlic, fennel seeds, capers, sea salt and pepper, and gently stew for 10 to 15 minutes, without actually ‘frying’ or browning.
- Squash the mixture down with a palette knife and cook till the bottom has browned and crisped in the butter.
- Spread out in pan and sauté over moderate heat for about four to five minutes, until bottom has crusted and browned.
- A large piece of braising meat, usually beef but sometimes lamb or pork, is browned in olive oil in a heavy pot.
- Once the pork has browned and is close to being cooked, add the soy sauce and the juice of the lime and splash more sesame oil.
- Once all sides of the roast have been browned, place the roast fat side up on a rack in the roasting pan.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.