In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(cruelty)brutalidad femininethey complained of police brutality — se quejaron de la dureza de la represión policial
- the brutality of the murder — el salvajismo del asesinato
- I don't think he was exposed to enough of their atrocities and enough of their brutalities to understand what he really was getting involved in.
- It was a clearly planned killing with murderous intent executed with brutality and determination.
- The shock of inhuman brutality was sufficient to traumatize the inhabitants into submission.
- Gone are the times when tensions would erupt in a blizzard of savage brutality.
- The images of abuse and brutality he records are horrifyingly familiar.
2(cruel act)brutalidad feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.