In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1amigo masculinecompinche masculine informalcuate masculine Mexico informalhermano informalmacho Spain informalgüey Mexico informalgallo Chile informalthey're good buddies — son muy cuates Mexico informal
- In ‘Reunion,’ six high school friends investigate a buddy's death.
- He frustrates me but we are best friends, blood buddies.
- It's the most advanced and stylish way to interact with family, friends or online buddies.
- Growing up in the 1920s, his closest buddy was Fats Domino before his family relocated to Portland, Oregon, where Lee took up featherweight boxing.
- Since they're best friends, his buddy would know where he was and who he was with.
- Everyone should be blessed with a friend like my buddy Pete Haggins.
- That ain't even the name of the bar anymore, buddy.
- Well guess who are friends, buddies and dealmakers together?
- I say ditch her and jump the next plane back here to Paris, buddy.
- I can always tell how I'm doing by the number of sentences that start with, ‘Now, listen, buddy.’
- C'mon George, show some muscle when it counts, buddy.
- He yells, ‘Excuse me, buddy, but do you know what we're supposed to do about this thing?’
- It's a relationship that's grown - Joe and I are firm friends now, best buddies.
- As an aside, before Christmas I ran into a buddy from high school.
- He was and will always be my best friend; my closest buddy.
- ‘Don't worry, buddy, it's just me,’ I sigh, wondering what went through his head today.
- But when you're done, you're coming right back here, buddy!
- Well, I just wanna tell you, buddy, you're not alone.
- I thank you for your suggestion, but back off, buddy.
- I have no friends, I have no family, I have no pals, no buddies, no chums, no amigos, nothing.
- ‘You've taken my luck, buddy,’ he humphs, as he collects his remaining chips and leaves.
- Still, he is the innocuous core that links a huge cast of eccentric characters, foremost his war buddy and closest friend Samad Iqbal.
- Where did you get your journalism degree, buddy?
- Sky High nudges your funny bone and then stands back with a hearty grin and says, ‘No offence, buddy.’
- Sean is broke, so his best buddy and roommate Dee Loc suggests he gets a job at the local car wash.
- Sure I have friends, but not real friends, not the kind of close buddies that you share everything with.
- The terse answer from a ticket agent: ‘If we find something, you're not going anywhere, buddy.’
- Often he will give Jon a parting look that says, ‘You're on your own, buddy.’
- Then he stood at attention and saluted in the direction of his fallen buddy, a friend he would never see again.
- Clearly all of those people wearing red or white in the crowd are here to cheer for you, buddy.
- I've got some harsh words for you, buddy, so have a seat.
- Meanwhile, I will be having a final farewell party this Friday with all my buddies, climbing friends, old coworkers, old classmates and random strangers.
- I don't know if they'll ever be close buddies, but they definitely get on better these days.
- Well, I hope the stakes weren't too high, Joe, because you lost, buddy.
- Aficionados of comic book blockbusters will be shouting in unison, ‘Get green, buddy!’
- Do us all a favor, buddy, and just give back the painting.
- You need these people to be your friends - your childless buddies will drop you like hot coals when the baby is born.
- I lost the light of my life, my buddy, my best friend.
- It follows four buddies, Asian-American high school students in Southern California who get caught up in a tumultuous rush of drugs, crime, and violence.
- Now, Darce, buddy, how about you run along and get William here a soda, he looks quite parched.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.