In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bala feminineI got the bullet — me pusieron de patitas en la calle
- to bite the bullet
- the time has come to bite the bullet and tell her — ha llegado el momento de hacer de tripas corazón y decírselo
- the government is loath to bite the bullet of devaluation — el gobierno se resiste a decidirse a devaluar
- to sweat bullets — sudar horrores
- before noun bullet hole — agujero de bala
- bullet wound — herida de bala
- The external pane needs to withstand the kind of battering any object in orbit can expect: tiny objects at orbital speed are more energetic than a bullet fired from a rifle.
- However, in the hail of bullets and recoilless rifle fire, over fifty hostages had been killed.
- Licensed gun holders may not load their firearms with bullets until they are in the firing range, Arroyo said.
- Another sharp report split the night, and the second bullet from a sniper rifle ricocheted off the pavement to my immediate right.
- Among the ammunition were shotgun cartridges and dum-dum bullets.
- That way the hard barrel compresses the relatively soft metal of the bullet as the exploding gunpowder hurls the projectile down the barrel.
- She said authorities also found in the car automatic rifles, bullet cartridges, plastic explosives and other materials.
- She believes locals who said the weapon was a walking stick converted to fire bullets or an antique rifle which had a larger barrel.
- When we got out, cops herded us up the street, shooting people in the back with rubber bullets and beanbag bullets.
- One held a revolver full of deadly bullets, the other a quiver full of deadly arrows.
- The howitzer's armor gives protection against armor-piercing bullets and projectiles.
- In fact, even a rifle bullet fired north or south does not appear to curve.
- There were threats of revenge, retaliation, missiles bombs and bullets.
- After a thorough search, officers found six firearms and 2,790 bullets.
- And Lee fired the bullet out of her rifle, right after mumbling some annoyed incoherencies.
- For example, the assault rifle fires bullet bursts as a primary fire, and launches grenades for secondary.
- What I didn't know at the time was that these rifles fired bullets of the alkali metal potassium at the rate of three thousand rounds per minute.
- Absent-mindedly, I loaded my revolver with bullets and fastened the gun onto my belt.
- We found an old rifle, bullet shells and homemade bombs.
- Propellants are the explosives used to fire bullets and shells at enemy targets.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.