In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(thug, tyrant)matón masculinematona femininebravucón masculinebravucona femininethe class bully — el matón / bravucón de la clase
- They have to worry about a lot more than bullies and bad influences outside the home.
- McCarthy was a state-backed bully and demagogue who harmed many innocent people.
- If we can all come together to make our parks safe, and we can all support zero tolerance in schools so that our children can enjoy a good education free from fear, intimidation and bullies, then we can surely do the same for our roads.
- I'm not sure who told them it was wise to stand up to the schoolyard bully, but that same person may want to remind them that the bully is generally the bully because he can hit really, really hard.
- It's similar to a kid joining sides with a bully just so the bully doesn't pick on him.
- In their intimidation of the history profession they act as bullies.
- Again, the world is stood on its head: siding with the United States, the global bully, demonstrates strength.
- Techniques for dealing with a bully without becoming a thug are covered in the next chapter and then the focus widens to ‘Power and World Conflict’.
- We are not the ones who contemplated suicide because we could no longer bear the terror that was being inflicted on us by gangs of thugs and bullies.
- Male bullies tend to use more physical violence than female bullies, although female bullies are increasingly using physical violence at an alarming rate.
- One concern the lead counsel might have is that their team will seem like a bunch of bullies: Too many lawyers around the courtroom could intimidate a jury.
- And because business is about groups and about interactions, bullies can dramatically harm almost any organization.
- Dealing with a bully without becoming a thug yourself is not wimpish, negative passivity.
- We are so inured to the laxness and corruptness, that we defend the bullies and liars.
- Perhaps he could not harm the bully, but the bully's favourite toy could be broken.
- And if I believed that Christian faith and morality required meek submission to bullies and tyrants, I might have the same reaction.
- The kid who was bullied becomes the bully, taunting, beating up fellow students, and intimidating teachers.
- Psychologically, why do bullies always beat up on the defenceless?
- Many coaches are professional bullies and intimidators.
- These core tasks include the defence of the nation, the protection of the citizens from the thugs and the bullies, and ensuring that key infrastructure, such as roads, are provided.
1(in school, the workplace)acosarintimidarmatonear Latin America informalto bully sb into sth
- she bullied him into doing it — lo acosó hasta que lo hizo
2(in an international or political context)matonear
1bully for you/him! — ¡bravo!
- Yummy, bully for you!
- Bully for her, and bully for you if you have a similar situation.
- And I say bully for him.
- They climb over each other, snatching spaghetti, Irish stew and bully beef from the air and each other.
- She opened the back door only to see thrown down on the lawn an empty can of her bully beef and, to make matters worse, an empty tin of her cat's food!
- We had bacon too, bully beef, endless tea, and biscuits which were very hard.
1(in field hockey)bully masculinesalida feminine
- If there is a stop in action, the re-start is called a Bully.
- The ball is put in play in midfield in a face-off, known as a bully.
- Use the bully to put the ball into play when play has been stopped for injury.
- The game of hockey starts with a ‘bully-off’ (or ‘face-off’) for possession of the ball.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.