In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So he did the best he could with what he had: he used his office as a bully pulpit to speak the truth about our neglectful shepherds.
- But the individuals with the bully pulpit must be out in front, making the case to all citizens that their vote makes a difference.
- But when you hold the White House those approaches really can work - because you have three levers of power, the executive branch, the bully pulpit and the veto pen.
- But the position has also become a bully pulpit, letting the occupant rattle everyone from underperforming CEOs to the chairman of the New York Stock Exchange.
- He responded that he had thought about it, but decided that he can effect a change in the political landscape more thoroughly from his bully pulpit on the air.
- More than that, this nation needs a president who uses his bully pulpit to seriously promote responsible behavior by corporate executives.
- I don't care if we like it or not, the Republicans are the ones with the money and the bully pulpit and they're going to hammer on it.
- Perhaps the most important strength is the high importance attached to the president's using his bully pulpit to articulate a democratic vision and to attach his personal prestige to the democracy-building endeavor.
- Some folks would really like to see the late night comedians use their shows as bully pulpits to advance certain positions.
- But what's wrong with having a bully pulpit, using that kind of forum as a bully pulpit to talk about these economic issues?
- You know, after a setback, most presidents use the bully pulpit to go speechifying.
- After all, why didn't he mount his bully pulpit and say so at the time?
- Some in the industry used the opportunity as a bully pulpit to lecture the media.
- President Kennedy took to television and declared from the bully pulpit: ‘We are confronted primarily with a moral issue.’
- He has to either compromise with the opposition parties, or else use the bully pulpit of the presidency to sway public opinion which in turn would affect opposition policy.
- If conservatives truly believe in a meritocracy, why aren't they busy denouncing this kind of thing, using their bully pulpit to shame rich whites into stopping this practice?
- His was a conception of the presidency in which there was little room for the bully pulpit.
- But as part of a broader cultural argument from the bully pulpits of government, churches, foundations, and academia, it is essential.
- This latter role offers considerable potential as a bully pulpit.
- And basically using the authority of my office, and the bully pulpit, to campaign for them up and down the state.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.