In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(one-story house)casa de una planta feminine
2(colonial or summer house)bungalow masculine
- The bungalows and houses have all been sold from the plans and will be ready at the beginning of next year.
- We had the run of this house, a bungalow with long corridors and lots of weird things to play with and things for us to be told not to touch.
- In Wales, Gwent Police said a roof blew off a prefab bungalow in Ringland, Newport.
- The mast will be next to an estate of houses and bungalows and the owners will suffer an immediate loss of value on their properties.
- The lodge cottage and the bungalow have been modernised in recent years and could be used for holiday lets.
- The lodge boasts three bungalows and three double suites and can accommodate a total of 12 people at a time.
- This development will be of fourteen houses, eight of which will be bungalows along with six two storey dwellings.
- With a large roof space, it is possible in some bungalows to add a dormer bedroom in the loft, a common feature of many of them.
- She helped collect signatures for the protest petition from the eight houses and 14 bungalows in the close.
- When I observed the white houses and bungalows, it would conjure images of people riding in horses.
- The six semi-detached houses and two bungalows are rented and the tenants all have a connection with Bromham.
- Residents on a post-war estate of prefab bungalows have been finding out about gaining independence from the council.
- They had these big houses, big bungalows, and my dad drew them to show my mum what kind of houses they had.
- The application was for eight, two storey houses and eight bungalows organised in four clusters.
- The new homes will include two bungalows and six semi-detached houses.
- In the bungalows, the south-facing porch leads to the dining room on the left and lounge on the right.
- Also put on hold were plans for two bungalows at West Country Lodge, Cherry Tree Avenue, Clacton.
- It smashed through a garage and washroom, split roof timbers in her bungalow, and ended up near her bedroom.
- Users also have to differentiate between houses, bungalows, cottages and apartments.
- We are anxious to have individual houses, detached bungalows or dormers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.