In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1robarour house was/we were burgled — nos entraron ladrones en casa
- He got sucked into trouble and appeared before the courts on charges of failing to stop after an accident, burgling an unoccupied building and kicking a car.
- And then on June 17, five men were caught red-handed trying to burgle the offices of the Democratic National Committee at the Watergate building.
- A woman today told of her terror as she fought with an intruder trying to burgle her home at night.
- A Selby pensioner and his sister have expressed their anger and despair after their house was burgled.
- We are talking about professional criminals who burgle houses purely for the cars.
- A woman who burgled the homes of two elderly people is beginning a two-year jail sentence.
- And if a thief can see from the car parked in your drive that you are security-conscious he is less likely to try and burgle your house.
- Every hour of every day, 98 homes are burgled and seven homes are hit by fire.
- The lady whose house was burgled was extremely traumatised and now can't go downstairs at night.
- He added their method was to burgle houses, steal car keys and load goods from the homes into the stolen vehicles before making off.
- Insurance had also rocketed because of churches being burgled, and heating costs had also soared.
- Would you really hesitate to call the police if your home was burgled?
- ‘This guy was burgling an office building - one of those high-rise jobs,’ Collins explains.
- An elderly woman foiled an attempt by con men to burgle her home after she became suspicious and screamed and shouted at them until they left.
- If a burglar has a history of breaking through patio doors to burgle a house it's right that a jury should know that when he's in the dock, so that their lawyer cannot claim their client is whiter than white.
- An unemployed 41-year-old man charged with burgling the home of an elderly Bromley couple will appear at Croydon Crown Court.
- He said the public were sick and tired of their homes being burgled.
- Police are still trying to find the thieves who ran off with his cage when they burgled her house in Oldham.
- But less than a month later on Christmas Eve the pub was burgled and stock taken.
- Police are appealing for witnesses after five homes were burgled over a two day period.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.