In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Johann Hudde was burgomaster of Amsterdam for 30 years, from 1672 to 1702.
- The Rwandan genocide could not have occurred without the existence of a strong and effective administrative structure-the burgomaster system-left over from the colonial period.
- The artist worked for the Amsterdam burgomasters, John Maurice of Nassau, and the Elector of Brandenburg.
- Saskia Van Uylenburgh was the daughter of an impoverished though respected burgomaster and Rembrandt drew and painted her over and over again.
- The grandfather generation included a burgomaster, two members of the Provincial Estates and six councillors.
- The bishop himself was known to be intimate with the widow of the former burgomaster of Constance.
- A successful political career might well involve some four or five functions: elector, councillor, alderman, burgomaster, member of the provincial estates, member of one of the Chambers of Parliament that was the full cursus honorum.
- Mathias, the owner of an inn and mill in a village in Alsatia, is eager to become the local burgomaster.
- They become betrothed, but the burgomaster Ghysbrecht, together with Gerard's scheming brothers and his outraged father, prevent the marriage and succeed in having the young man imprisoned.
- Everyone who saw him was in agreement that the triumph of his long career was Mathias, the guilt-ridden burgomaster in Leopold Lewis's melodrama The Bells.
- Katherine was placed with the family of Philip Reichenbach, burgomaster and town clerk, where she was treated kindly.
- He served for 30 years as burgomaster of Amsterdam being first appointed in 1672.
- In the Court's view, the events that prompted the burgomaster's direction in May 1968… are of a nature to justify an ‘emergency’ confinement of the kind provided for at that time under section 14 of the Netherlands Act.
- Ten days later, I arrived with my trucks, while, back in Bevensen, a group of citizens chosen by the burgomaster were putting the final touches to the place of entertainment.
- The prefectures are divided into communes, led by burgomasters, and the communes into sectors.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.