In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1entierro masculineto give sb a decent/Christian burial — dar a algn honrosa/cristiana sepultura
- burial at sea — entierro en el mar
- [as modifier] burial rites — ritos funerarios
- his burial place is unknown — no se sabe dónde está enterrado
- Thanks to the Isle of Man government, the wreck was raised five months later and the crewmen's bodies retrieved for burial.
- Temporary hospitals were set up in private homes to treat the wounded and prepare the dead for burial.
- The remains of the baby will be kept at Mayo General Hospital until Gardaí decide to release the body for burial.
- Instead, Creon is guilty of a religious sin by denying burial to a dead man's body.
- Tamil cremate or bury the dead, with burial being more common among lower castes.
- This was the popular genre of postmortem images made to commemorate the dead before burial.
- It is this money which was used to release the bodies for burial yesterday.
- Mr Hooper adjourned the inquest and released the body for burial.
- It was thought the bath may have been used to store bodies awaiting burial or transfer from Silverton.
- The clerics had grown authoritative to the extent that they could refuse burial of any dead soul in the city cemetery.
- There was no autopsy, nor is there any record of friends having witnessed the body or its burial.
- No postmortem was ordered, and the dead woman's body was returned for burial before toxicology tests had been completed.
- It is a known fact that most of the primitive religious take their rites and practices from the burial of their dead.
- The family must come to the mortuary tomorrow to collect the body for burial, or the authorities will be forced to intervene again.
- She pleaded with his adopted mother and the hospital officials to allow her to take his body home for burial on the reserve.
- They are also charged with preventing or conspiring to prevent the lawful and decent burial of a dead body.
- Remains were brought to Kilgobinet Church on Monday evening last with burial on Tuesday morning.
- It is generally acknowledged that the Indo-Iranians followed the practice of burial.
- He said the coroner had released the bodies for burial.
- To make sure that their bodies would be dead before burial, some people requested that they be cremated or embalmed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.