In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(local)autobús masculinebus masculinecamión masculine Mexico Central Americacolectivo masculine Venezuela Argentinaómnibus masculine Peru Uruguaymicro feminine Chileguagua feminine Cuba Canary Islandson the bus — en el autobús (/ bus etc. )
- to go by bus — ir en autobús (/ bus etc. )
- to look like / have a face like the back (end) of a bus — ser feo con ganas
- bus service — servicio de autobuses
- bus ticket — billete de autobús
- The major polluting vehicles are trucks, buses and light commercial vehicles, all using diesel.
- They claim the bumps impede the movement of emergency vehicles and buses, disturb neighbours and damage cars.
- The bus passengers were left abandoned on the side of the road.
- Lorries, buses and wide vehicles will be diverted on to the Millbrook roundabout while the work is carried out.
- The other two will cover heavy goods vehicles and buses.
- Big vehicles like buses and trucks must move into the extreme left lane.
- They have come in rented buses and trucks, vehicles jammed to bursting with everything they can possibly carry.
- The service will operate in a similar way to a bus service, with fares and timetables, but will be flexible enough to pick up passengers in a set area.
- The State Road Transport Corporation is running extra buses to carry the passengers.
- And Councillor Skellett stressed it would mean there would be no extra cash to boost services for vulnerable people or for roads, buses or fire services.
- Current regulations ban all vehicles other than buses and bicycles from using the roads at all times.
- I too have had much experience driving heavy vehicles and buses.
- The colour-coded system is designed to encourage more people to use public transport by making bus services more frequent and routes more obvious.
- The bus servicing the route has also been blocked on more than one occasion.
- The heavy vehicles including lorries and buses make their condition worse.
- I waited in the city to catch my bus at the bus stop, which serviced 8 different bus routes.
- The answer for Swindon is to reduce the cost of bus fares to make public transport more attractive.
- The bus service on these routes is temporary until the taxi operations get back to normality.
- We were told by the Council that only buses and residents' vehicles would be allowed up here but it's being used as a general diversion.
- The new bridge will allow high vehicles, including buses, to pass underneath for the first time.
1.2(long-distance)autobús masculineautocar masculine Spainpullman masculine Southern Coneómnibus masculine River Platemicro masculine Argentina
2Computingbus masculineaddress/data bus — bus de direcciones/datos
- The chip's system bus will only switch on those elements needed to process data.
- That gives us the total number of loads: three for the system bus, two for the processor, one for the chipset.
- To date, chip designers have focused on connecting processors to cache memory to counter the latency of the system bus.
- Bus lengths are limited for the round trip time of the signal on the bus.
- By spreading the pulses across the spectrum, you can deliver extremely high data transfer rates - think of the higher speeds offered by older parallel buses over serial buses.
- This information is acquired by the chip and can be reported to the processor through a serial bus.
- A computer system includes a bus interface with a plurality of data buffers.
- They are identical with the exception of the system bus frequency and multiplier.
- Connecting to the system bus is a nice first step, but we want to be able to send messages from a well-known address.
- The PCI bus has emerged as a bottleneck between the processor and the network.
- It also gives each processor access to the full bandwidth of the system bus.
- PCs consist of a set of chips, including the CPU, graphics and keyboard controller, all connected by buses.
- Each set of terminals has the same set of signal assignments of a parallel bus implemented by metal lines in the board.
- Surely, we asked, no one would be running parallel buses in ten years time?
- If the drive were the only component connected to the bus, then there would be no problem.
- In each bus directory is a file for every different USB device connected to the bus.
- How is it that even buses in the computer have conductors?
- Systems described may include any number of individual buses within their bus arrangements.
- The architecture includes plural bus masters, each connected to its own bus.
- The memory frequency can be set to different rates depending on the system bus frequency.
1(transport by bus)llevar en autobústransportar en autobústo bus it — ir en autobús (/ bus etc. )
transportar a colegios fuera de su zona para favorecer la integración racial
2US(clear, clean)(table) limpiar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.