In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(man) machote informal(woman) hombruna(woman) machota informal
- In the restlessly nurturing mind's eye of my mother, there resides a vastly better lighted and less deliberately butch apartment that is organized to be shared with a member of the opposite sex.
- Number one: while I personally quite like butch women, it's not a taste that's shared by every woman in the world - or even most of them.
- And should your butch man of the hour sign up for rebirthing classes to overcome trauma he suffered in the womb, you'll volunteer to drive him there.
- Trying on sunglasses, I'm surprised by how butch my face is.
- This is tough, concise, and, if I may, butch movie-making, and I love it.
- The good news, what there is of it, is that the few remaining teeth that I do have are apparently good teeth, strong teeth, firm, manly, positively butch teeth.
- We have butch guys, and guys who are really into clubbing - the whole spectrum.
- An original touch, however, is the shovel-grip handbrake, which saves space as well as feeling quite butch.
- After decades of associating Democrats with failed masculinity, the Republicans are faced with an opponent who knows how to put on a butch display.
- Venison with braised red cabbage sounds like a hefty, butch dish.
- It's not sore - I just sound very butch and can't sing very well.
- I was riding along towards home, wondering if the passing car drivers were looking on in awe thinking how butch I looked.
- And how is the knowledge that all gay men aren't effeminate and all straight men aren't butch going to help you pick between the men exactly?
- I always wanted to make proper films, butch films with lots of big trucks and big sweaty sparks and do it properly.
- No, no, the Greeks have stuck a load of butch canoeists to paddle up and down on it.
- Fry also goes through butch biker phases; for a previous interview with me he roared up in red and black leathers.
- It is some sort of former light industrial building that has been transformed with butch know-how.
- You boys did all the butch stuff, and I filed my CD collection.
- The big lights, butch bulges and metallic paint are designed to be brash, flash and funky.
- Like all Republicans, he had himself photographed in an elaborate costume, leaning on a very butch piece of heavy equipment.
2(physique/clothing) (of man) de machote informal(physique/clothing) (of woman) hombruno
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.