In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)elección para cubrir un escaño vacante en el parlamento
- If he won, the executive would have the option of holding a by-election to fill the seat.
- The race does not appear to be anywhere near close, which explains the voter apathy about these by-elections.
- Party divisions led to huge losses in by-elections and local government elections until the party at the grass roots seemed close to extinction.
- The vacancies mean by-elections could take place if ten electors in the town contact the council in writing by October 25 saying that they want one.
- Some analysts spoke about a second national election, others described the recent ballots as by-elections.
- Traditionally, voters have used by-elections to express anti-government sentiment.
- In the past the Liberals had made breakthroughs at by-elections and in gaining a large number of votes in general elections.
- It is not known yet whether there will be a by-election or if the vacancy will stand until the town council elections in May.
- For many years successive elections and by-elections results have shown that almost the same number of people cast their votes.
- This strikes me as an odd stance from a candidate hoping to win a by-election.
- People stayed away from the polls in their thousands during by-elections in two opposition-held constituencies in Zimbabwe.
- We will need to contest by-elections and begin to prepare for the general election.
- Remember, we fought a general election and two by-elections, and ended up reducing our overdraft.
- More than that, for the first time in my recollection the party in power hasn't lost a single by-election.
- The voters, their expectations aroused and then frustrated, took revenge at by-elections and local elections.
- The party's electoral fortunes also revived in the state elections and by-elections.
- The election in that constituency has been abandoned and a by-election will be held in a month's time.
- You see it in by-elections and council elections.
- However, the by-elections involved real votes and real people, and the results are no less dismal for them.
- It has superintended two general elections, two municipal elections and numerous by-elections.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.